Sunday 27 February 2011

Empathy Book

In my practicum in November, our grade one class worked very hard throughout the month learning about empathy.  This was the character development trait that the school was studying so it was a common theme throughout the hallways at the school.  I very quickly learned that such an abstract idea that is "empathy" is somewhat difficult for young students to comprehend.  Through various lessons and many class discussions, we learned in-depth information about what empathy is, and how we can show it to one another.  This month-long subject became quite the topic in the classroom and at the end of the unit, the students were required to write a final sentence with an illustration showing what they have learned about empathy.



"When I show empathy I say 'do you need a hug?'"



"I can show empathy by hugging people."



"Empathy is saying 'good try'."

This collection of 17 student's work shows the vast understanding these young children have.  I was very grateful to have taught this series of lessons on empathy and have the opportunity to teach such an important character trait.  These students taught me a lot about what empathy truly is, through the simple thoughts, ideas, and language that grade one's possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment