Sunday 27 February 2011

The Kodaly Method for Music Education

In my studies at the Royal Conservatory of Music , my course in the Kodaly method has really helped me understand and appreciate the significance of quality music education.  Zoltan Kodaly's theory of music education for young students emphasizes the importance of singing and claims that children learn music best through their first instrument: the voice. 


Students are able to express musical talent if they first feel it within themselves.  Singing allows students to physically feel music before having to put that musicality onto instruments, such as the xylophone and recorder.  I firmly believe that Kodaly's methods can be greatly involved in a regular classroom through singing often, therefore creating opportunities for music development and also appealing to the musical learners in the room. Plus, it just creates a fun and inviting atmosphere to learn!

I love my classes at the Conservatory and look forward to my next one this summer, studying the theories of Carl Orff.

No comments:

Post a Comment