Saturday 2 April 2011

Caucasian Chalk Circle

During my March practicum, I had the opportunity to work with grade 6, 7, and 8 students after school in preparation for their theatre performance, The Caucasian Chalk Circle. I helped the director and staff members in coordinating the actors, in running rehearsals, and participating in meetings.  The students are working hard to memorize their lines and staging for the play, and the staff are collecting props, stage equipment, and costumes.  The show will take place at the beginning of May, and although I won't be able to see the final outcome live, I am sure the students will do a remarkable job.

I have appreciated dipping into the realm of drama and theatre with participation in this school play.  I like to believe that my specialty is in the arts, however my forte in the arts is certainly not in drama.  I had some minor roles during my adolescent years in various school productions, but working with the staff during my practicum provided a very different, alternative look at the process of putting together a full play.  As a staff member, I was able to contribute to meetings for decision-making processes.  I also helped the actors with delivering their lines, vocal warm ups, and blocking.

I am grateful I was able to help the staff and the students at the school with this production.  Although I was only there for a mere 4 weeks, I saw tremendous growth amongst the actors and can only imagine what the final production will be like.  I wish them all the best of luck in the final month of preparations and rehearsals - I can say from experience that the final weeks are very stressful and hectic, but everything is so worth it in the end.  I greatly appreciate the opportunity to work with the Junior/Intermediate students of the school as I was not teaching many of them this practicum and was able to further my comfort level in working with older students.  They certainly possess a lot of talent and I learned a lot from them in the short time I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment