Sunday 6 March 2011

Area, Perimeter and Grids

The practicum that I am currently completing is in a combined class of grade 3s and 4s.  I have taken a liking to teaching math nearly everyday in the class, and feel confident with the lessons and ideas thus far.  The unit we are doing is on Area, Perimeter, and Grids, and after a few introductory lessons I decided to make it life-sized and create a giant grid on the large carpet in the classroom.


The morning they saw the carpet they were like kids on Christmas morning!  They were really excited to experience it and math lessons have been so fantastic so far.  They are really grasping the concepts of area, grids, and perimeter and I'm looking forward to doing more lessons with it this week.

As a bonus on Friday afternoon during free play period, I organized a game of Battleship using the carpet grid and it turned out very successful.  The students LOVED playing and found it to be a very exciting game.  



Lessons are just so much more fun with hands-on and concrete learning.  I'm so glad this is going so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment