Saturday 12 March 2011

Speaking Bubbles for Empathy

The series of lessons that I implemented in my first practicum allowed the students to have various of opportunities to learn about the character development trait of the month, empathy.  This is a rather difficult topic for young students to sometimes grasp based on the abstract idea of the meaning. Through drama, visual arts, literacy, and social studies, we were able to explore empathy in a variety of ways and students demonstrated their learning of empathy both in lessons, and in their day-to-day relationships with their peers.

One lesson which I conducted involved paired students to create thinking or speaking bubbles for characters they saw in a picture.  They had to create sentences for each person or animal to demonstrate what that person might be feeling - whether it is the person who is hurt or the one showing empathy.  These grade one students surpassed my expectations and were able to clearly demonstrate what empathy looks and sounds like through this activity.

"It looks like you need a hug?"
"I had a rough day."

"I am sad."
"I can tell you are upset."

I am grateful that these students were able to learn something about empathy and express ideas and create sentences based on simple photos.  Additionally, while on yard duty, I continually reminded the students in my class especially to practice empathy and to help their friends when necessary, and also look at positive forms of empathy including encouragement and positive praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment