Saturday 12 March 2011

Observing in Class

Observations as a student teacher come in very handy for multiple purposes.  By simply watching interactions in the classroom, listening to student conversations, and observing how a teacher teaches can be extremely beneficial and helpful.  In my undergraduate degree in Early Childhood Education, an entire course was exclusively to learn how to observe and what to observe as a teacher.  This course helped me learn how to take effective notes, what to look and listen for that are worthy for note-taking, and the importance and power that can come through effective observation.

This week I had the opportunity to observe my Associate Teacher of my grade 3 / 4 practicum class teach a lesson to the students in math. I took the opportunity to record important information that I found useful in teaching math, and also what her students are used to in regards to math language, what they know, etc.

My notes included the following:

-Look at patterning to find answers
-Use student participation (colour in on the overhead)
-Use math language (ie. "congruent")
-Point out useful information in the question, hints on the page
     - Explain what symbols mean
-Models how to use pictures, numbers, and words to show thinking
-Points out bold letters as key features of the problem
-Physically counts and shows thinking by talking aloud
-Involves students through questioning (ie. "What do I do next?" and "Why do I have to do that?")
-Models how to form a full, complete sentence in the answer (combining literacy and math)
-Uses manipulatives as necessary to help solve the question
-Includes multiplication whenever possible (connection to current math topic and student's thinking expectations)


I am fortunate to have an amazing associate teacher who knows exactly her students' needs and how to help them each achieve success. I am looking forward to more observations in the future with her teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment