Saturday 19 March 2011

School Choirs

In my last few placements, I have taken the opportunity to participate in various after-school/extra-curricular activities in the school community.  For most of these, I have volunteered my time in the arts in some way, such as in drama productions and choirs.

I really enjoy assisting music teachers in primary and junior choirs for multiple reasons.  For each one thus far, I have participated as the pianist, and this has allowed me an extreme close up of the talented singers and musicians at many schools I have been at.  I have also lead vocal and choir warm ups, offered suggestions and encouragement, helped to lead sectionals and canons, and offered any extra assistance to the music director.  For one school, I was able to accompany the students to a school board wide festival and watch these talented students sing in front of a large audience and an adjudicator.  It was an incredible experience.

I hope that in my career as an educator, I will willingly take upon the challenge of creating and maintaining a choir for young singers.  I have learned many strategies and techniques along the way which I believe will help me in my endeavors. I truly believe that student's lives can be enriched through positive opportunities to perform, sing as a group, and work collaboratively for a common musical purpose.  There is so much that can be done with either a few select students, or a wide number of members.  In any case, I have great plans to allow students at my school the chance to sing, sing, sing as often as possible and in various formats.

For your listening pleasure, this is a recording of a choir singing "On the Back of an Eagle", written by Nancy Telfer.  I accompanied my last practicum choir on the piano with this song and they really enjoyed singing it. The recording is not of a choir that I was with, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.  Children's voices are so precious!



Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
-Red Auerbach

No comments:

Post a Comment